petak, 17. kolovoza 2007.

80

Before we touch on the issue of learning foreign languages, here's a fact of life for you.

People seldom do what they "should" do, but they almost always achieve what they "must".

Yes, we all get what we must have.

But the fact is, when most people declare "I must...", they don't mean it.

Are you one of them?

I was about to give you the dictionary definitions of the words "should" and " must" but then I changed my mind because I'm sure you know what they mean.

You see, "I Should" refers to what you ought to do or the right thing to do; "I Must", on the other hand, indicates no room for compromises... It's a requirement or an obligation.

People do what they truly consider "must"s, whereas they might "try their best" to (but do not necessarily) do their "should"s.

Your mastering of a new language is a "must" not a "should".

Keep telling that to yourself.

Driven individuals are people who leave themselves no choice except for reaching their goals. They would not settle for anything less than what they can do.

And the rest people just HOPE for the best.

If you were one of those who HOPE things to happen, I'd like you to stop "wanting" to achieve the language goal that you have set for yourself. And I'd like you to stop saying things to yourself like "I'd very much like to achieve my language goal", "It would be good if I can achieve my language goal" or "I'd rather achieve my language goals".

Take a moment to imagine the following scenarios:

- I smile to you and say, "I'd be happy for you if you can actually achieve your language goal."
- I say to you encouragingly, "If you achieve your goal, I'll give you a nice little reward."
- I point a gun to your head and say, "You don't have a choice. I'll kill you if you don't achieve you language goal."

Don't take that as a joke

Let your imagination run wild. Imagine that really happened. Which scenario would more likely drive you to take action?

The third one, without a doubt.

Now repeat the following:

"I must achieve my language goal. It is not a hope. It is not a wish It is a must, because I have no choice."

Repeat it out loud. I am serious. Say it out loud, not just in your mind!

Nema komentara: